Inaugural Remember the Removal Walk, Ride, and Bike along the original Trail of Tears northern route east of Steelville.
All proceeds will benefit the establishment of a Trail of Tears Monument in the Community Park.
The Cherokee Indian Nation’s forced relocation in 1838 via the “Trail of Tears” is a acknowledged tragedy in U.S. history. The Trail of Tears, was a terrible and sorrowful journey, one that the Cherokee Nation has yet to overcome. During this relocation process, 10 Cherokee detachments were forced to make the passage through Steelville, Missouri. Those detachments camped on the H. E. Davis Farm. The location is now the Steelville Community Park. The December 2nd. Walk / Ride is close to the actual date Native Americans walked this route and camped at what is now the Community Park.
The walk, or horse and wagon starts at Long Spring Road and travels 5 miles ending up at the Steelville Community Park. Start time 2:00 P.M. Walk participants should meet at the park and shuttles will be available to transport them to the starting location.
The 30 mile Bike Ride starts and ends at the Steelville Community Park. Start time 10:00 A.M.
Registration is $35.00 for each participant 16 and older and $20 for youth ages 10 to 15 prior to Nov. 18, 2023. After November 18, adult registration is $40 and youth is $25 with no guarantee to receive a T-shirt. Children younger than 10 can participate for free and do not need to register but they will not receive a T-shirt.
These are not timed events.
- At the $125 sponsorship level you will be able to put your company name on the back of the participant t-shirts.
- At the $275 sponsorship level you will be able to put your company logo on the back of the participant t-shirt.
- At the $500 sponsorship level you will be able to put your company logo on the back of the participant t-shirts, two sponsorship sign along the race route and also two free race registrations.
- At the $1,000 sponsorship level you will be able to put your company logo on the back of the participant t-shirts, four sponsorship sign along the race route and also four free race registrations.
- Other donation amounts are accepted as well.
- Contact Rob Viehman for more information. email@example.com
Sponsorships are tax deductible.
Contributions can also be mailed to: Steelville Area Historical Society, 10535 Doc Polk Rd., Steelville, Mo 65565.